Saturday 8 September 2012

Denied

My god! Apparently I haven't published a post since the 31st of August and it's now the 8th September! I am well behind schedule. In fairness, in the past week I have been to a wedding, started a new job and moved house so I feel like I have some kind of excuse for my laxness. On the other hand, excuse schmoose! Shame on me.

I do in fact have an update on my health situation, although not a particularly jolly one. Regular readers will remember that the NHS is proving remarkably loath to pay for the treatment that fixes me. I need regular injections, one every month, which normalise my hormone levels and make me feel much more chirpy, and also possibly stop the tumour growing which would be A Good Thing. They also cost about £750 a pop.

I got the first injection just over a month ago. The hospital then had a month to wrangle who was going to pay for the next one. I was booked in to go back on Wednesday morning for the next injection. Surprise, surprise, on Tuesday afternoon I got a phone call from one of the nurses informing me that they had not sorted out the funding issue and it would be "one or two weeks" before I could have the next one. Past experience would suggest that "one or two weeks" could be anything up to several months.

It's very frustrating, because the injections make such a difference to my symptoms. I massively cut down on the amount of medication I was taking for my heart, to the point where some days I didn't need it at all. I was sleeping better, my nails were better, my eyelashes got thicker (weirdly when my thyroid hormone levels are too high they tend to thin out!), everything was improving. And now I just have to wait, slowly feeling worse and worse all the time.

It's hard not to feel annoyed at my new GP for starting this whole mess by refusing to prescribe it despite letters from the hospital asking her to. I know that she was just playing by the book. But if the tumour in my head goes untreated and keeps growing and makes me more ill it's just more hassle for the NHS in the long run. I really don't care who pays for it. But can SOMEONE please get it sorted?

1 comment:

  1. I guess the individual practices are trying to keep to their budget that's set by the Primary Care Trust or whatever. They're incredibly keen to get people on cheaper or generic versions of inexpensive drugs (like hayfever medication) so I'm not surprised they react this way when being asked to pay £750.

    It must be a problem with how the NHS is compartmentalised. Proportionally, expensive medication for people with incredibly rare conditions don't cost the NHS a lot because there are so few of them, but individual practices balk at it.

    Between them they are definitely being short-sighted and I hope they get it sorted for you soon.

    ReplyDelete